Re: restarting after power outage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Wiersig
Subject Re: restarting after power outage
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 03:03:50PM -0400, Doug McNaught wrote:

> What I have done is to create a separate init.d script that
> removes the PID file, and arrange for it to run before the PG
> startup script.

An even better place (if you really want to do all this) would be
something that happens only at boot time.

On a Debian system a skript linked to /etc/rcS.d/ would be in
order, on SUSE I would rm it in /etc/init.d/boot.local.

But I advise against it. Do things like that manually after you've
checked that your pgsql-partition is mounted and filled with
correct data.

Some of the distributed init.d skripts for starting postgres also
initdb the data-location if they think they should. That can lead
to the total loss of your cluster.

--
Peter