Re: blob storage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: blob storage
Date
Re: blob storage  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 03:41:28PM -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 15:30, Travis Harris wrote:
> > I would like to use P* to store files.  These files will probably
> > range from 500K to 2 MB in size and there will be thousands upon
> > thousands of them.  I was wondering how P* stores blobs, if it is all
> > in one file, or if each blob is sored in it's own file.  The reason
> > being, I know that windows has a 2 GB limit on files, and if they are
> > not stored as their own files, I'll hit my limit FAST... and it'll do
> > me no good...  If this is going to be a problem, does anyone have any
> > suggestions?
>
> If you store them as large objects, they will each get their own file.

Huh, no, they won't.  They will be stored in the pg_largeobject table.
It's been quite a while since they are not stored in separate files;
though they keep the POSIX-filesystem-like semantics.

Syntax error: function hell() needs an argument.
Please choose what hell you want to involve.