Re: Corruption on production system - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Corruption on production system
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:24:03PM -0400, Eric B. Ridge wrote:

> Is page header corruption a known issue with 7.3.6 and should I
> upgrade to 7.3.9 at the same time that I'm restoring this table from
> backup?

Well, you can get a page header corruption on any release as long as you
have faulty hardware ... RAM randomly dropping bits is not unheard of.
Have you run memtest?

If you don't mind losing that page of data, you could turn on
zero_damaged_pages on postgresql.conf.  If you do, you could try
pg_filedump (to be found somewhere on sources.redhat.com/rhdb IIRC) to
examine the damaged page more closely.

"Vivir y dejar de vivir son soluciones imaginarias.
La existencia está en otra parte" (Andre Breton)