Re: libpq Unicode support? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: libpq Unicode support?
Date
Re: libpq Unicode support?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> To make libpq UTF-16 capable, we'd have to change its API for all
> strings; either make the strings counted rather than null-terminated,
> or make the string elements wchar instead of char.  After that we'd
> have to hack the FE/BE protocol too (or more likely, require libpq
> to translate UTF-16 to UTF-8 before sending to the server).  I don't
> foresee anyone doing any of this, at least not in the near term.
Is there any *real* loss of functionality in not supporting
UTF-16 ? If so *should* it be supported in, say, 9.0 ? If not,
should there be a FAQ item saying why not ?

Thanks for a great database,
Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346