Re: plperl function fails to "fire" Slony trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: plperl function fails to "fire" Slony trigger
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 03:09:13PM -0400, Sven Willenberger wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 14:43 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > Slony triggers are AFTER ROW triggers. All they do is one SPI_execp() to
> > > insert the log row. The only way that could possibly be suppressed is by
> > > bypassing the executor and doing direct heap_ access.
> > >
> > > So how does plperl manage that?
> >
> > It doesn't; it only uses SPI.  I guess we would need the original
> > function to see what is really happening.
> >

> If by the "original function" you mean the plperl function, it was in
> the thread parent; in essense it runs an "insert into tablename (cols)
> select vals from <other table>" query. The Slony trigger is:
> "_T2_logtrigger_10" AFTER INSERT OR DELETE OR UPDATE ON inter_rootdecks
> FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE "_T2".logtrigger('_T2', '10', 'kkkv')
>
> If by "orginal function" you mean the logtrigger (slony) function it
> would appear from a cursory glance at the source that logtrigger
> accesses the heap (HeapTuple). It would appear the same manipulation is
> utilized by plperl's SPI calls. How this all interacts with the
> "executor" is, admittedly, beyond the scope of my comprehension at this
> point ...

Hmm.  There are no direct heap manipulations that I can see in plperl.
The HeapTuple functions that it uses are merely to check the catalog in
lookup of the function, AFAICS.

I don't have Slony installed here, so I can't run a simple test
directly, but I think the problem lies elsewhere.

The only idea that comes to mind is that the new tuples somehow fail the
snapshot test of the Slony trigger ... not sure if that makes any sense,
because the trigger should affect all new tuples, I imagine.

"El número de instalaciones de UNIX se ha elevado a 10,
y se espera que este número aumente" (UPM, 1972)