Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Software Patents  (Chris Travers <chris@travelamericas.com>)
List pgsql-www
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I read their "About"
>>
>>     http://www.eff.org/about/
>>
>> Too political, this group is not just anti-patents and goes much farther
>> than I think we can agree as a group.
>
> Uhmmm software patents are about as political as you can get ;).

Only if they affect you, and they don't affect us, since we strive to be
patent free, as seen by how quickly we removed the ARC stuff ...

*And* ... unless I'm mistaken, this whole 'anti-patent' stuff will never
get rid of the existing patent system in the US, or any other country,
will it?  Only about the EU implementing such?  And, as far as that is
concerned, does anyone here *know* what is being proposed in the EU?  Is
it a better (more strict) patent system then there exists in the US?  Or
is it going to allow for ppl to patent "generic ideas", like some of the
ones going through the US patent system have been ... ?

Basically, if we're going to be *anti-patent*, we need to know the why of
it ... is it just because we are anarchist and dont' believe that anything
should be regulated?  Or is it because of what we've been seeing over teh
past couple of years coming out of the US Patent office?

----