Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!!
Date
Re: Woo hoo ... a whole new set of compiler headaches!!  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Dave Held wrote:

> [...]

Actually, what I'm more "worried" about is the optimizations added to 4.x
... I know, for instance, that with FreeBSD's kernel, for the longest time
you couldn't use the higher optimizations in 3.x, since it would cause
"unexpected results" ...

With GCC 4.x, there are new optimizations, and a while new set of
"unknowns" that we're going to possibly get bug reports for ... and, it
*is* a .0 major release for GCC, so there are bound to be bugs in their
optimizer also, and I know there are some that will see "the latest and
greatest", install it and come flying at us when its possible that its a
bug in the newer GCC itself ...

----