Re: pgpool with PostgreSQL 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: pgpool with PostgreSQL 7.4
Date
List pgsql-general
> Tatsuo,
>
> I'm excited that pgpool is working for us now.  We plan to start using it in the near future on our production
applications(hundreds of thousands of DB transactions per day).  I have just a couple follow-up questions:

> 1. When we use pgpool, should we still use a database connection pool?  Or should we have the application share only
oneconnection (that pgpool then transforms into many simulatenous connections)?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are saying. Maybe you mean
num_init_chidlren = 1 ?

> 2. We have some SELECT statements that are for reporting, and we would like them only to get load balanced to the
slave. Is there any way to force a query to be sent to the slave (e.g. using comments at the beginning of the query)?
Ifnot, is this something you would consider adding to pgpool?

Sounds nice and it should not be super hard to implement. I'm looking
for adding this to pgpool.

> 3. Do you plan on adding support for more than one slave in the future?  Is this feasible?

Yes, it's on my TODO list.
--
Tatsuo Ishii

> Thank you for your time,
> Kevin
>
> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp> wrote:
> What are client_encoding values on these two servers? It seems they do
> not match...
> --
> Tatsuo Ishii
>
> > Sure, here is the debug output when I run the following command..
> >
> > -bash-2.05b$ psql -p 9999 -c 'show pool_status' template1
> > psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
> > This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> > before or while processing the request.
> >
> > Debug output from pgpool:
> >
> > 2005-04-14 10:23:55 DEBUG: pid 5557: I am 5557 accept fd 6
> > 2005-04-14 10:23:55 DEBUG: pid 5557: Protocol Major: 3 Minor: 0 database: template1 user: postgres
> > 2005-04-14 10:23:55 DEBUG: pid 5557: connecting postmaster Unix domain socket: /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432
> > 2005-04-14 10:23:55 DEBUG: pid 5557: connected to postmaster Unix domain socket: /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 fd: 7
> > 2005-04-14 10:23:55 DEBUG: pid 5557: read_message_length: lenghth: 8
> > 2005-04-14 10:23:55 DEBUG: pid 5557: read_message_length: lenghth: 30
> > 2005-04-14 10:23:55 ERROR: pid 5557: read_message_length: length does not match between backends master(30)
secondary(27)

> > --
> > Kevin
> >
> > Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > Can you show me debug messages by starting pgpool with -d option?
> > --
> > Tatsuo Ishii
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm having trouble getting pgpool to work in master/slave mode. I'm planning on using something like Slony-I for
replication,and use pgpool only to load balance the queries across the master and slave, as well as provide failover if
themaster goes down.

> > > I configured the settings so replication_mode = false, load_balance_mode = true, and master_slave_mode = true. I
alsoset secondary_backend_host_name and secondary_backend_port to refer to the slave. Here's what happens when I try to
connectto the database to show the status:

> > > -bash-2.05b$ psql -p 9999 -c 'show pool_status' template1
> > > psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
> > > This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> > > before or while processing the request.
> > > The strange thing is that if I change the configuration so master_slave_mode = false, it seems that the failover
worksbut load balancing does not. When master/slave is disabled, I'm able to show the status and run queries against
themaster. If I use "pgpool -s s switch" to perform a manual switchover, I am then able to run queries against the
slave.But as soon as I try running pgpool with master_slave_mode = true, it stops working and when I try to connect I
getthe error above ("server closed the connection unexpectedly").

> > > Am I doing something wrong? Below are my configuration settings when I receive the error. I'm using the latest
stablebuild of pgpool (2.5.1). The master is PG 7.4.7, the slave is PG 7.4.