Re: [Fwd: Re: Functionscan estimates] - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From elein@varlena.com (elein)
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Functionscan estimates]
Date
List pgsql-performance
I'm not subscribed to performance at this time. I reviewed the
thread and owe everything I know about this to Wei Hong whose
brilliance exceeds all others :)  All misinterpretations are
mine alone.

I have not reviewed hellerstein's papers posted by neil, but I
will.

My understanding of this issue is at a very high user level.
In Illustra SRF functions were not necessarily special functions.
All functions could have a cost associated with them, set by the writer of
the function in order for the planner to reorder function calls.
The stonebraker airplane level example was:
    select ... from ... where f(id) = 3 and expensive_image_function(img)
The idea, of course is to weight the expensive function so it was
pushed to the end of the execution.

The only difference I see with SRFs in Postgres is that you may want
the cost represented as one row returned and another weighting representing
the number of estimated rows.  I think this conclusion has already
been drawn.

It seems to make sense, if the optimizer can use this information, to
include wild and/or educated guesses for the costs of the SRF.

I'm sure I haven't contributed here anything new, but perhaps
phrased it differently.

Copy me on replies and I'll participate as I can.

--elein