Foreign Keys Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthias Loitsch
Subject Foreign Keys Question
Date
Re: Foreign Keys Question  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
List pgsql-general
First of all, hi. I'm new to this mailing list.

I searched this on the net, but I didn't get any usable answers...

So here's my problem:

I have 2 schemas. One is called SITE, one SITE_forum.

What I wanted, is to separate the forum from the whole Site db, so I can
put them on different servers if I encounter performance problems or
anything.
So I started the SITE_forum schema, made all my tables, and realized,
that I don't want to create the table users in the schema SITE_forum,
because I want to use the exact same users than in the schema SITE.

One possibility would be, to create 2 identic tables on both schemas,
but that really really is not what I'd like to do.

So I thought I could make a foreign key on a different Schema (db), and
use the same table....

And well, thats where I started to search if this is possible ... and,
in fact my main question is: Is this a good idea?
I have no idea if this will be fast enough, or if I will have lots of
problems afterward....

Could anyone help me with this ?

Thanks in advance,
Matthias Loitsch