Re: System vs non-system casts

From: Alvaro Herrera
Subject: Re: System vs non-system casts
Date: ,
List: pgsql-hackers

Tree view

System vs non-system casts  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
 Re: System vs non-system casts  (Robert Treat, )
 Re: System vs non-system casts  (Andrew - Supernews, )
  Re: System vs non-system casts  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: System vs non-system casts  ("Michael Paesold", )
  Re: System vs non-system casts  (Alvaro Herrera, )
   Re: System vs non-system casts  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: System vs non-system casts  ("Michael Paesold", )
  Re: System vs non-system casts  (Alvaro Herrera, )
   Re: System vs non-system casts  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: System vs non-system casts  ("Jim C. Nasby", )

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:39:09AM +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

> >The other possible solution that comes to mind is to invent the notion
> >that a cast has a specific owner (which arguably it should have anyway)
> >and then say that "system casts" are those whose owner is the original
> >superuser.
>
> Just my toughts: I believe it's better when cast selection does not depend
> on the search_path. It seems dangerous for objects that you don't usually
> qualify with a schema. With all other objects in schemas I can think of,
> you can easily write the full-qualified name.
>
> So I vote for the latter.

So casts created by the original superuser don't get dumped?  That's not
good IMHO.

But yes, schema-qualifying casts seems weird:'123'::someschema.user_type

Is that even accepted by the grammar?

"La fuerza no está en los medios físicos
sino que reside en una voluntad indomable" (Gandhi)