Re: sequence advances on failed insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: sequence advances on failed insert
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:27:41PM -0400, Sven Willenberger wrote:

> David Fetter presumably uttered the following on 04/07/05 20:16:
> >On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:59:52PM -0400, Matthew Terenzio wrote:
> >
> >>I'm noticing that a sequence is advancing even if the insertion
> >>fails.  Is this weird or expected?
> >

> >It's expected.  Sequences are guaranteed to generate unique IDs.
> >These happen to be an increasing sequence of integers, but there is
> >no attempt to make this a gap-free sequence, and your apps should
> >not depend on the actual value of said ID.
>
> I assume by "not depend on the actual value" that one should not
> assume that the next value will be one increment higher than the
> current highest value in the table;

Yes.

> because it is guaranteed to be unique, I would think it to be an
> excellent way to assign a customer id, for example, which can then
> be referenced (foreign key, etc) by other tables after a new record
> is added.

It's designed for just that purpose :)

> Unless there is some other reason one should not use a sequence
> value as any type of identifier?

Relational purists sometimes insist that artificial keys cause more
problems than they solve, but I'm not in that camp most of the time.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!