Re: Follow-Up: How to improve db performance with $7K? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: Follow-Up: How to improve db performance with $7K?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 09:44:56PM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
> Now, the performance is pretty bad considering the setup -- a RAID 5
> with five 73.6 gig SCSI disks (10K RPM, I believe).  Reads through the
> filesystem come through at about 65 megabytes/sec, writes about 35
> megabytes/sec (at least, so says "bonnie -s 8192").  This is on a
> system with a single 3 GHz Xeon and 1 gigabyte of memory.  I'd expect
> much better read performance from what is essentially a stripe of 4
> fast SCSI disks.

Data point here: We have a Linux software RAID quite close to the setup you
describe, with an onboard Adaptec controller and four 146GB 10000rpm disks,
and we get about 65MB/sec sustained when writing to an ext3 filesystem
(actually, when wgetting a file off the gigabit LAN :-) ). I haven't tested
reading, though.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/