Re: plpgsql - can't get a simple block to execute - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: plpgsql - can't get a simple block to execute
Date
List pgsql-novice
[Please include the mailing list on replies.]

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 02:50:37PM -0600, Walker, Jed S wrote:

> So I can not use an anonymous block (as the plpgsql structure indicates I
> can)?

What do you mean by "as the plpgsql structure indicates I can"?
What part of the documentation are you looking at?  If you're looking
at the "Structure of PL/pgSQL" section, then remember that it's
describing the structure of a PL/pgSQL function -- it mentions
nothing about being able to execute anonymous blocks.

With current releases of PostgreSQL, if you want to use PL/pgSQL
or any other server-side language (PL/Perl, PL/Python, PL/Tcl,
etc.), then you must write a function.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/