Re: VACUUM and read-mostly tables - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: VACUUM and read-mostly tables
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:56:05PM -0400, Ian Westmacott wrote:
> > And if UFS is available for linux you should might try it.
>
> Would UFS help the fragmentation issue?  We have seen ext3
> allocating blocks in 2-4 pages, while XFS manages 8-16
> pages.

Actually, I spoke too soon in my last reply. UFS has done work to be
more intelligent about where it allocates space from, so it's very
possible that even if it's only allocating a block at a time that it
will be smart enough not to allocate nearby space for other things. I
believe there's also some tuning parameters that affect that behavior.
Of course, other linux filesystems might be tunable in that regard as
well.