Re: [GENERAL] plPHP in core? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: [GENERAL] plPHP in core?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> Actually as I think about it... that is not the case even now. When
>>> we download the php source the base configure before compile is:
>>>
>>> ./configure --disable-all
>>>
>>> Thus no use of PostgreSQL whatsoever.
>>>

>> I'm sure it is possible to get around it manually, but think about
>> distributors.  They probably compile PHP more to the tunes of
>> --enable-everything.  I don't think they will like it if we tell them that
>> they need to switch to a two-stage build process or something.
>>
> Well I can't speak to anything but Linux. Most Linux
> distributions (at least the significant ones) break PHP
> up into several different packages and things like mysql
> and php are specifically different packages.

This is correct for FreeBSD also ... you build a 'central php' and add
modules as seperate ports that are enabled thorugh an extensions.ini file

Same thing happens with the various 'components' of postgresql, each are
built/installed as seperate packages, where if the appropriate headers are
already installed on teh machine, the core distribution doesn't have to be
re-downloaded/extracted ...

----