Re: Debugging deadlocks - Mailing list pgsql-general

From frank@joerdens.de
Subject Re: Debugging deadlocks
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 12:54:28AM -0600, Guy Rouillier wrote:
[]
> The service_plane table is a reference table, i.e., a fixed set of
> values used only to validate foreign keys.  So the code doesn't have any
> update statements on that table.

And idea that just came up around here that sounds like a pretty neat
workaround, which we're gonna try, is to drop the foreign key
constraints, and just use a check constraint for the allowed values. If
the cardinality of the reference table is small, this is much faster
than using foreign keys and solves your problem.  With the drawback that
if you update the reference table (if you keep it), you mustn't forget
to also update the check constraints in more than one place.

Rgds, Frank