Re: pg_index question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Terry Lee Tucker
Subject Re: pg_index question
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Tom.

One never knows until he asks...

On Friday 25 March 2005 06:36 pm, Tom Lane saith:
> Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> > Umm, I tried it and it worked.  Sure you got the right relid?
>
> I think the relation cache will probably not notice a manual update on
> pg_index.  So whether it "works" or not would depend on a lot of
> extraneous factors like whether the relation cache entry was already
> built for the target table and whether you did something else that would
> force a cache rebuild.
>
> In any case, the whole idea is so fraught with pitfalls that I couldn't
> recommend it ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Quote: 42
"In selecting men for office, let principle be your guide. Regard not
 the particular sect or denomination of the candidate -- look to his
 character...."

 --Noah Webster

 Work: 1-336-372-6812
 Cell: 1-336-363-4719