best way to swap two records (computer details) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gary Stainburn
Subject best way to swap two records (computer details)
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi folks.

I have a table called pieces which contain every piece of hardware and
software within my company.

Each piece has an owner attribute which points to another piece which -
funnily enough - owns it.

For example records for CPU, motherboard, HDD, O/S, and applications
will all be owned by a piece record representing a computer.

I'm currently going through an upgrade process at the moment where I
build a new PC, install all relevent software and use Documents and
Settings Transfer Wizard to move a user onto the new PC before wiping
and disposing the old PC.

My question is what's the best way to swap settings between the two
computer records and swap any software installed?  Ideally I'd like it
in the form of a function where I can pass the two p_id's and return a
boolean reflecting success (true) or fail (false).

Currently I do this manually with:

update pieces set p_name = 'LSALES1', p_location = 'Mike Haley', p_site
= 'L' where p_id = 724;
update pieces set p_name = 'SPARE', p_location = 'spare', p_site = 'L'
where p_id = 305;

update pieces set p_owner = 724 where p_owner = 305 and p_type in (    select hwt_id from hw_types where hwt_cat in (
select hwc_id from hw_categories where hwc_hwg_id = 7));

The hw_types and hw_categories select all O/S and application software.
This doesn't put any software currently on 305 onto 724 which would be
nice.

(I'm not after someone to do my work for me, but a good starting point
would be very much appreciated)

--
Gary Stainburn