Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against ? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against ?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Peter,

> > Yep.    But it doesn't matter what you or I think is Political; it
> > matters what the US Gov't thinks is political.   At least, as far as
> > the 501(c)3 goes.
>
> The PostgreSQL project is not and to my knowledge has no ambitions to
> become a 501(c)3 organization, so who cares?

Oh, it's not a persuasive argument.   It's just a small argument against.  I
personally have no problem with the idea of having a "No Patents" web button,
now that the Europeans among us have put the idea forward.

> EFF is a 501 (c) (3) charitable organization. Our tax ID number is
> 04-3091431. Your gift is tax deductible to the full extent provided by law.
> To view our financial records, please visit Guidestar.

That's bizarre.    I distinctly remember that my TY letter from the EFF for my
gift said that it was *not* charitable due to their political activity.  Will
have to ask them.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus