Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:39:53AM -0600, Doug Hall wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:02:10 -0600, Jim C. Nasby <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:
> >... but the fact is there's still a LOT of places
> > that are windows shops and a LOT of people who use windows more heavily
> > than *nix. More important, the egotism of "If you want to use PostgreSQL
> > you better run it on what we tell you to run it on" is certain to turn
> > people off of PostgreSQL.
>
> Perhaps someone on the list who knows and uses the different operating
> systems could set up a lab, to compare PostgreSQL between them.
> Perhaps the latest Windows Server, a popular distribution of Linux,
> and Mac OS X?
>
> Has this already been done, with regard to performance?

There is a perftest project on either pgfoundry or gborg that has been
doing performance testing. I think it's all being done on linux right
now, but it would certainly be interesting to compare linux, freebsd,
and windows. Unfortunately, there's no way to do an apples-to-apples
(pun intended) comparison with OS X, since not all of the OS's will run
on the same hardware. Linux will run on Power, though, as will OpenBSD.
I think FreeBSD's support is still pretty bare, but I'm not certain.