Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] snprintf causes regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] snprintf causes regression tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Nicolai Tufar wrote:
> Dear all,
> After struggling for one week to to integrate FreeBSD's vfprintf.c into
> PostgreSQL I finally gave up. It is too dependent on underlying
> FreeBSD system functions. To incorporate it into PostgreSQL we need
> to move vfprintf.c file itself, two dozen files form gdtoa and a half
> a dozen __XXtoa.c files scattered in apparently random fashion all
> around FreeBSD source tree.
>
> Instead I researched some other implementations of snprintf on
> the web released under a license compatible with PostgreSQL's.
> The most suitable one I have come upon is Trio
> [http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/trio/].
> It is distributed under a MIT-like license which, I think will be
> compatible with us.
>
> What do you think about it? Shall I abandon FreeBSD and go ahead
> ?ncorporat?ng Tr?o?

Yes, maybe just add the proper %$ handling from Trio to what we have
now.

> And by the way, what ?s the conclus?on of snpr?ntf() vs. pg_snprintf()
> and UNIX libraries discussion a week ago? Which one shall
> I implement?

I think the proper direction is not to export snprintf() from libpq so
that user applications will use the native snprintf, but our code can
use our custom version.

I will work on a patch now.