Re: pgpool question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: pgpool question
Date
Re: pgpool question  (Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm experimenting with pgpool 2.51 on my Linux box runnung
> two postgresql backends: pg74:5432 and pg801:5433
>
> I configured pgpool to use pg74:5432 as primary backend and
> pg801:5433 as second one. Pgpool is running on default port (9999) and
> I configured my web application to use it, so I could start/stop backends
> without disturbing client (web browser).
>
> When I stop primary backend (pg74:5432) pgpool switched to backend
>      failover from (5432) to (5433) done
> but when I start primary and stopped secondary backend pgpool
> never switched back to primary backend as expected !
> I see bogus message like:
>      starting failover from (5433) to (5433)
>
> What I'm doing  wrong ?

That's an intended behavior. Or at least a side effect of failover
design. If we allow unlimited switching between the master and the
secondary, pgpool could repeat switching forever if we have unliable
network or hardware.

However it would be easy to modify pgpool to allow automatic switch
back (with a risk of unwanted repeating switching, of course). Is
this what you want?
--
Tatsuo Ishii