Re: order by question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gary Stainburn
Subject Re: order by question
Date
force command execution  (drdani@mazsola.iit.uni-miskolc.hu)
List pgsql-sql
On Wednesday 09 March 2005 1:06 pm, you wrote:
> Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi folks.
> >
> > I seem to remember somewhere being shown how to bump specific rows
> > to the top of a list; something along the lines of:
> >
> > select c_id as key, c_des as value from customers order by c_id =
> > 7, c_id = 160, value;
>
> Looks roughly right.
>
> SELECT * FROM foo ORDER BY not(a=6),not(a=4),a;
>   a |  b   |  c
> ---+------+-----
>   6 | ccc  | BBB
>   4 | aaa  | BBB
>   1 | aaa  | AAA
>   2 | zxxx | AAA
>   3 | ccc  | ZZZ
>   5 | zxxx | BBB
> (6 rows)
>
> Alternatively: (a<>6),(a<>4),a

Although this does exactly what I want, at first glance it should do
exactly the oposite.

I'm guessing that for each line it evaluates
not (a=6) 0 for true else 1
not (a=4) 0 for true else 1
everything else
--