Re: drop view even with dependencies? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: drop view even with dependencies?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 04:38:53PM -0500, Henry Ortega wrote:

> Is there a way to drop a VIEW in postgres without
> the need to drop all the dependencies?
> Also with tables, can I drop a table even if there are multiple views
> that depend on it?

I'm not aware of a way.  It could be argued that doing so would be
A Bad Thing: a view has a particular meaning, and by dropping the
things the view depends on you'd be subverting that meaning.  The
DBMS doesn't know what your intentions are, so it doesn't allow you
to break the dependencies.

> It's such a pain in the neck to have to drop all the dependencies and
> recreate them all over again.

Do you not keep the definitions in a file?  It can be useful to
put all the necessary DROP and CREATE statements in a file, so
if you need to change anything you simply edit the file and run
"psql -f filename.sql".

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/