Re: a suggested way of creating a RSS feed for the - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: a suggested way of creating a RSS feed for the
Date
List pgsql-www
On March 7, 2005 06:11 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Dave Page wrote:
> > We would run the code in this way on wwwmaster.postgresql.org. It would
> > automatically be saved to a static file periodically, for mirroring to
> > the static front end servers.

Yes, running the php as a command line script and piping its standard output
to a file should do the trick.

> > Using an imap source shouldn't be a major problem, but how would you
> > expire messages? Perhaps some code should be added to delete everything
> > over 1 month old?
>
> wwwmaster uses cyrus-imapd for its imap spool ... whih includes a
> 'cyr_expire' command that could be run from cron to periodically dump any
> messages in a mailbox > n days ...

Excellent idea.

We could add tags of our own into the email news event that when read by the
script would also carry out extra instructions. For example, if there's an
older announcement that is still important it could still be placed near the
top of the list by using one the RSS ordering tags on the news items.

regards

Robert