Re: WIP: buffer manager rewrite (take 2) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Mark Wong
Subject Re: WIP: buffer manager rewrite (take 2)
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:50:28PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Second iteration of buffer manager rewrite.  This uses the idea of a
> usage counter instead of just a recently-used flag bit.  I allowed the
> counter to go up to 5, but some playing around with that value would
> be interesting.  (Tweak BM_MAX_USAGE_COUNT in
> src/include/storage/buf_internals.h, then recompile the files in
> src/backend/storage/buffer/.)  Also there are more GUC variables now
> for controlling the bgwriter.

I see a huge performance increase, when applied to CVS from 20050301.

Baseline against 8.0.1:
        http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-010/309/
        throughput 3639.97

CVS from 20050301:
    http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-010/314/
    throughput 5483.01
    I only ran this for 30 minutes, as opposed to 60, but it looks
    promising.

So about a 50% increase in throughput for my test.  Not to shabby. ;)

Mark