Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Adler
Subject Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 02:15:52PM -0500, John Allgood wrote:
> using custom scripts. Maybe I have given a better explanation of the
> application. my biggest concern is how to partition the shared storage
> for maximum performance. Is there a real benifit to having more that one
> raid5 partition or am I wasting my time.

I think the simplest and most generic solution would be to put the OS
and pg_xlog on a RAID 1 pair and dedicate the rest of the drives to
RAID 5 or RAID 1+0 (striped set of mirrors) array.

Depending on the nature of your work, you may get better performance
by placing individual tables/indices on dedicated spindles for
parallel access.

 -Mike Adler