Re: BUG #1487: Index problem - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom M. Yeh
Subject Re: BUG #1487: Index problem
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Yes, it really depends on Locale. If I created a
database with Locale = C, the problem won't happen (at
least so far). BTW, I forgot to mention I tested with
some Chinese and Japanese characters.

However, it raises another issue why a wrong Locale
would damage index? It shall only affect records with
wrong conversion, not something like '1000'.

The real environment in my program is J2EE+JDBC. I
simply used pgAdmin to demonstrate the problem (not
caused by JDBC or so).

Though Locale C solved the problem, LIKE 'prefix%'
still uses Seq Scan. It is a job to change hundreds
(if not thousands SQL) to use BETWEEN/AND instead. Any
suggestion?