Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Get rid of system attributes in pg_attribute?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 20 February 2005 00:25, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > If I am understanding this correctly, they could only be displayed if
> > selected explicitly right?
>
> That's always been true.  The behavior at the level of SQL commands
> wouldn't change.  The question is whether any apps out there examine
> pg_attribute and expect these rows to be present.  Most of the code
> I've seen that examines pg_attribute explicitly disregards rows with
> attnum < 0 ...

One of us is not understanding the other :-)  I'm asking if I have a piece of
code that does something like select attname from pg_attribute where attrelid
= 'stock'::regclass::oid with the intent of displaying all those attnames,
then the "system atts" will no longer show up in that list, correct?  I'm
asking cause I have some code that does something like this at work so
wondering if I need to do some further investigating come Tuesday morning.

--
Robert Treat