Re: Help me recovering data - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Help me recovering data
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 17 February 2005 07:47, pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
> > Gaetano Mendola <mendola@bigfoot.com> writes:
> >> We do ~4000 txn/minute so in 6 month you are screewd up...
> >
> > Sure, but if you ran without vacuuming for 6 months, wouldn't you notice
> > the
> > huge slowdowns from all those dead tuples before that?
>
> I would think that only applies to databases where UPDATE and DELETE are
> done often. What about databases that are 99.999% inserts? A DBA lightly
> going over the docs may not even know that vacuum needs to be run.

Yup... I don't vacuum a least a 100 of the tables in my schema cause they are
continuous insert with big deletions once every 6 months or so.  Generally
speaking it isn't worth the performance hit to vacuum these big tables
regularly, so I only do it when I have to.... like every six months when wrap
around gets close.

--
Robert Treat