Re: Problem with asynchronous connect in 8.0.1 - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Chad Robinson
Subject Re: Problem with asynchronous connect in 8.0.1
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
--- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Chad Robinson <taskswap@yahoo.com> writes:
> > I'm not sure I can use Postgres though. I'm having a terrible time
> > getting large numbers of clients connected. I need to have upwards
> > of 8000 clients attached at any one time.
>
> Unless you actually need 8000 simultaneous transactions in process,
> connection pooling is the way to go.  I haven't played much with pgpool
> though --- it may have a few issues to shake out ...

It seems so. I have to have this many connections, because for security and
privacy reasons the processes involved are isolated. There are about
1000-1200 per box, 4-8 boxes, depending on how I load-balance things. Unless
you know some way to REDUCE memory usage per Postgres client connection,
we'll see how things go with pgpool.

Thanks for your help.

-Chad