Re: Does indexing help >= as well as = for integer columns? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Does indexing help >= as well as = for integer columns?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 06:51:13AM -0800, TJ O'Donnell wrote:
> I had thought that the Creation of the Index would do something
> equivalent to Analyze.  I tried Analyze Verbose and it improved
> the scanner's ability to predict when an index would be useful.

Create index creates an index, analyze collects statistics. Neither
happens without being asked for...

> Last week, I asked about visualizing B-tree "coverage".  I think
> I meant "Can I see the histograms that Analyze creates?"
> Are they available anywhere?  The docs mention them (bins) and I
> was hoping Analyze Verbose would show them to me.

Maybe pg_statistic? You may need the oid of the column definition to
work out what goes where...

Hope this helps,

Attachment