Re: case sensitive/insensitive confusion - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Theodore Petrosky
Subject Re: case sensitive/insensitive confusion
Date
List pgsql-sql
I seem to have a problem with controlling the locale.

Mac os x, postgresql 8.0.1

./configure --with-rendezvous --enable-thread-safety
--enable-locale

but when I try:

initdb --locale=es_ES ~/testdb

I get:

The files belonging to this database system will be
owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale
es_ES.
initdb: could not find suitable encoding for locale
"es_ES"
Rerun initdb with the -E option.
Try "initdb --help" for more information.

Am I missing something in OS X, or is this a
postgresql issue, or a combination?

I even tried

initdb --locale=en_US ~/testdb

and I still get the same error....

I am actually looking based on a conversation with
someone in Portugal that can not figure it out and he
needs it.

Any help to pointers would be great...

Ted