BUG #1452: psql and other programs don't offer a password prompt, so I can't login to databases - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jonathan Chen
Subject BUG #1452: psql and other programs don't offer a password prompt, so I can't login to databases
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1452
Logged by:          Jonathan Chen
Email address:      chenjh@uci.edu
PostgreSQL version: 8.0
Operating system:   Windows Server 2003
so I can't login to databases
Details:

When I run psql or other programs (e.g. pg_dump), it never even gives me a
password prompt, so of course I get the following error message:

psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "CDBUSER"

I've tried running with the "-W" option, but doesn't seem to make a
difference.  Complete command-line:

psql -U CDBUSER -W cdbtest