Re: Oracle and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Oracle and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 03:32:38PM -0200, Bruno Almeida do Lago wrote:
> Hello my friends,
>
> We are going to change some Oracle 8i and 9i databases to PostgreSQL
> 8 at my company.
>
> 1st: Is there somebody who knows how to do it (had the same
> experience)?  What are the limitations of this process (eg:
> incompatible data types and objects).

It depends how much of Oracle's functionality you used.  Do you have
table types or other exotics like custom types?

> 2nd: Which tools are available to do it? I've seen one called SQL
> Fairy (http://sqlfairy.sourceforge.net/). Is this one the most
> recommended?

Try it and see.

> 3rd: Is there a way to make both databases talk (such as creating a
> DBLink between two Oracle Databases)?

Yes!   For all-PostgreSQL environments, use contrib/dblink.  For
heterogeneous environments, there's

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

Please send bug reports/feature requests for DBI-Link if needed.

> And finally, do you know a good comparison chart or benchmark
> between these two databases? A Brazilian university teacher made one
> (http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~celio/livrobd/docs/benchmark.html) but
> I'd like to see other comparsions like in real production databases.

The best benchmark, of course, is your application.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!