Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:23:30PM -0800, Kevin Brown wrote:

> beefier CPU setup would be in order.  But in my (limited) experience,
> the disk subsystem is likely to be a bottleneck long before the CPU is
> in the general case, especially these days as disk subsystems haven't
> improved in performance nearly as quickly as CPUs have.

Indeed.  And you can go through an awful lot of budget buying solid
state storage ;-)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin