Re: poor performance of db? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From andrew@pillette.com
Subject Re: poor performance of db?
Date
List pgsql-performance

--bound1106633891

I'm also an autodidact on DB design, although it's well more than a year now. If you are planning to clean up the
design,I strongly suggest getting a visual tool. Google for something like "database design tool". Some are extremely
expensive(e.g. ERwin, which I think is renamed having been bought out). There's a very cheap shareware one that I won't
mentionby name because it crashed my machine consistently. Right now I'm using "Case Studio", which has some very
eccentricUI (no one enforced consistency of UI across modules, which is rather ironic in a design tool) but capable and
user-extensible.ERwin's manual also had the best explanation of denormalization I've read, short and to the point.

The ability to make schema revisions quickly lets me concentrate on *better-written queries* and *improved table
definition*without having to overcome inertia.

--bound1106633891--