Re: ERROR: row is too big: size 9856, maximum size 8136 - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: ERROR: row is too big: size 9856, maximum size 8136
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:56:12AM -0500, Joel Fradkin wrote:

> I am enclosing a text file if this is not the correct manner let me know
> whats best way its not a lot of lines.

The file you attached contains a view definition but it doesn't
show the underlying tables, nor the statement that resulted in the
error.  By "self-contained example" I mean enough statements that
somebody could copy them into an empty database and reproduce the
problem.

The error "row is too big: size 9856, maximum size 8136" gives a
clue at what's wrong but I'm not sure what circumstances cause it,
because the TOAST mechanism allows rows to be larger than a page.
This is just a guess, but maybe the error means that the non-TOASTABLE
data is exceeding the page size.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/