Re: How to manually insert an UTF-8 character into an SQL statement? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: How to manually insert an UTF-8 character into an SQL statement?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 02:48:40PM +0100, Alban Hertroys wrote:
> I'm trying to insert a record that contains an ô (o circumflex) into a
> table using the psql client.
> I also tried with phppgadmin and pgadmin, but both can't do this. They
> insert a HTML entity and error out respectively. Not what I had in mind...

My guess is that the \0x00 is being expanded to a null. If you want a
circumflex, why not just set the encoding to "latin9" or whatever and
send it normally. Unicode characters don't have embedded nulls iirc so
that can't be a properly encoded character anyway...

> Supposedly I should be able to type:
> INSERT INTO table (name) VALUES ('C\0x00f4te d''Azur');
> but all I manage to achieve is inserting a capital 'C'...

Hope this helps,

Attachment