Re: Disk configuration - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Benjamin Wragg
Subject Re: Disk configuration
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks. That sorts out all my questions regarding disk configuration. One
more regarding RAID. Is RAID 1+0 and 0+1 essentially the same at a
performance level?

Thanks,

Benjamin
-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Alex Turner
Sent: Thursday, 20 January 2005 2:53 AM
To: Benjamin Wragg
Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Disk configuration

The primary goal is to reduce the number of seeks a disk or array has to
perform.  Serial write throughput is much higher than random write
throughput.  If you are performing very high volume throughput on a server
that is doing multiple things, then it maybe advisable to have one partition
for OS, one for postgresql binaries, one for xlog and one for table data (or
multiple if you are PG8.0).  This is the ultimate configuration, but most
people don't require this level of seperation.  If you do need this level of
seperation, also bare in mind that table data writes are more likely to be
random writes so you want an array that can sustain a high levels of IO/sec,
so RAID 10 with 6 or more drives is ideal.  If you want fault tolerance,
then RAID 1 for OS and postgresql binaries is a minimum, and I believe that
xlog can also go on a RAID 1 unless you need more MB/sec.  Ultimately you
will need to benchmark any configuration you build in order to determine if
it's successfull and meets your needs.  This of course sucks, because you
don't want to buy too much because it's a waste of $$s.

What I can tell you is my own experience which is a database running with
xlog, software and OS on a RAID 1, with Data partition running on
3 disk RAID 5 with a database of about 3 million rows total gets an insert
speed of about 200 rows/sec on an average size table using a compaq proliant
ML370 Dual Pentium 933 w/2G RAM.  Most of the DB is in RAM, so read times
are very good with most queries returning sub second.

Hope this helps at least a little

Alex Turner
NetEconomist

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:03:44 +1100, Benjamin Wragg <bwragg@tpg.com.au>
wrote:

> I just wanted to bounce off the list the best way to configure disks
> for a postgresql server. My gut feeling is as follows:
>
> Keep the OS and postgresql install on seperate disks to the postgresql
> /data directory?
> Is a single hard disk drive acceptable for the OS and postgresql
> program, or will this create a bottle neck? Would a multi disk array
> be more appropriate?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Benjamin Wragg
>

> --