Re: Need help recovering - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Need help recovering
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 07:39:29AM -0700, Michael Garriss wrote:
> We had a significant production outage with a box running 8.0 Beta 4,
> 140GB data, 190GB index.  We think it was a bad RAID controller card.
> Our transaction logs are gone but we have raw data.
>
> How can we recover this data?  Can the transaction logs be reset?  Can
> we safely set this zero_damaged_pages parameter?

What transaction logs?  Do you mean pg_clog, or pg_xlog?  If the former,
use your latest backup (i.e. forget it, unless you rarely rolled back
any transaction).  If the latter, try pg_resetxlog (you will likely lose
some things after the last checkpoint, and some indexes may not be in
correct shape).

What are the exact error messages you are getting?

"The ability to monopolize a planet is insignificant
next to the power of the source"