Re: Is initdb needed from 8.0.0rc3 to 8.0.0? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Is initdb needed from 8.0.0rc3 to 8.0.0?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 04:36:21PM -0800, Ron Mayer wrote:

> Subject says it all.

You can check if an upgrade requires an initdb by comparing catalog
versions between your current version and the new version.  To find
out your current catalog version, run pg_controldata and look for
the following line:

Catalog version number:   200411041

In the new version's source code look for the following line in
src/include/catalog/catversion.h:

#define CATALOG_VERSION_NO      200411041

If the catalog versions match then you shouldn't need to do an
initdb; if they're different then you will.  Making a full dump
anyway before upgrading might be prudent just in case, however.

The most recent catalog version change appears to have been committed
on 2004/11/05.  I think 8.0.0beta4 was the next version after that,
so if you're running 8.0.0beta4 or later then I wouldn't expect an
initdb to be required to move to 8.0.0.  But don't hold me to that....

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/