Re: Colours & sizes - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Colours & sizes
Date
List pgsql-www
Emily Boyd wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > The fact is that PostgreSQL's web site has a smaller default font than
> > any other web site I normally visit.
>
> I can't speak for the sites that *you* visit, but we're using a default
> font size that's a web standard - Microsoft, IBM, and many others use
> *exactly* the same font.

That helps me greatly.  I did a side-by-side comparison of fonts from
the three sites:

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/tmp/web.jpg

The page on the left is PostgreSQL, the middle is IBM, the right is
Microsoft.

You are right the fonts seem to be the same size.  The 'o' is the same
size on all of them as far as I can tell.   However, those comparisons
are for the font itself.  The difference is that the non-PostgreSQL
sites seem to have more space between letters, and certainly more space
between the lines.

They are using that small font for bullet lists and menus, while we are
using that font for paragraph text, and a even smaller font for the
News/Events section.

Looking at their sites they use larger text/images to highlight
information and the small text for menus and stuff.  I don't see any
similar large text/images on our site.