Re: SQL design question: null vs. boolean values - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From j.random.programmer
Subject Re: SQL design question: null vs. boolean values
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi:

> > (A)
> > I have three radio boxes in the user form
> >
> > field_foo
> > []yes
> > []no
> > []unknown
> > field_foo  char(1)  not null check
> >       (field_foo in 'y', 'n', 'u')
> >      ....OR....
> > field_foo char(1) check (field_foo in 'y', 'n')
> >

> Option 1 - the value is known, the user made a
> choice and it was to
> click the "unknown" box. The box could be labelled
> "marmalade" just as easily.

I see what you are saying. It's "known" that the user
actually selected something (the choice they selected
just happened to have a label "unknown").

NULL would be apprpriate if they had selected
nothing at all, right ?

However, if a choice is required (meaning the front
end
html form cannot be submitted without some selection
at least), then couldn't we fold unknown into NULL ?

i.e.,:

user choice
yes              -> 'y'
no               -> 'n'
unknown     -> null

Since it's guaranteed that the user will always
choose something ?

In fact, this is as you say similar to:

user choice
yes               -> 'y'
no                 -> 'n'
marmalade    -> null

I ran into another issue while designing my front end
html form.

field_foo
[ ] yes
[ ]  no

if you answered "yes" in field_foo above, you must
enter detail here

foo_detail
[              ]

This is a little tricky to capture in the database.
The issue
is that the nullability of one column depends AT
RUNTIME
on the value of another column (NOT at design time).

I ended up doing something like

create table xyz
(
field_foo   char(1) check (field_foo in 'y', 'n'),
foo_detail varchar(255),
check ( case    when field_foo='y' and foo_detail is null        then false    else true  end )
);

The constraint uses a case that *requires* some value
foo_detail if field_foo is 'y'.

I don't know whether this is the recommended
way to do the above or I'm making things too
complicated.. Any other opinions/suggestions ?

Best regards,

--j