Re: return value of the trigger function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: return value of the trigger function
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 15:15:33 +0100, Jarek Pude?ko <jarek.pudelko@tech.ceti.pl> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have big problem with a trigger function.
> Defs:
>
> CREATE TABLE foo (id int2, name varchar(20));
>
> foo.id cannot be serial or autoint because it will not be unique.
>
> Now I need a trigger that return foo.id of the inserted record.
>
> INSERT INTO foo VALUES (max(foo.id)+1,'junk');

If you are really doing the above, you probably do want to use serial.

If you insist on not doing this your app should do something like
lock table, select max(foo.id)+1 from id, and then nsert using the
value returned bye the select and then whatever else you want to do.