Re: OID Usage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: OID Usage
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 12:06:41AM +0100, Bo Lorentsen wrote:

> Ok, Tom told me about the same :-(  But why are oid's still in PG, that
> are they good for ? Will there be a real unique row id, like there is in
> Oracle, or will this be keept as an internal value only ?

Most system catalogs use OIDs as primary keys.  So they cannot just
disappear.  But on user tables, there's not a lot of use for them IMHO.

There's no internal row id on Postgres; having one would mean more
storage requirements.  If you want one, you know where to get it ... if
not, you may as well save the space.

"No hay cielo posible sin hundir nuestras raíces
 en la profundidad de la tierra"                        (Malucha Pinto)