Re: OID Usage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: OID Usage
Date
Re: OID Usage
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:20:50PM -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 07:44:18PM +0100, Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >
> > >You can create a function to get the sequence name attached to a table.
> > >Of course, you should take into account the fact that there could be
> > >more than one (two serial fields in a table are rare but not
> > >impossible), but if your tables have only one sequence you should be OK.
> > >
> > Are there a way to find and test if it is a primary key ?
>
> pg_index has an indisprimary column.

Yeah, though things get hairy that way because you have to peek at
pg_attribute to match the objsubid in pg_depend; and self-join pg_class
to get to the index itself.  Not sure if it all can be done in a single
query.

> If you run "psql -E" you'll see the queries that psql executes for
> commands like "\d foo".  Those commands query the system catalogs.

Sadly, there's hardly anything there that uses pg_depend.

--
"I dream about dreams about dreams", sang the nightingale
under the pale moon (Sandman)