Re: Performance delay - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Performance delay
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:14:10PM +0800, Hasnul Fadhly bin Hasan wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for the reply.. is that the case? i thought it would comply to
> the where condition first..
> and after that it will format the output to what we want..

That is in fact exactly what it's doing. The second query is faster not
because of the where clause, but because of the limit clause. The first
query builds a list of id, long2ip(srcip), long2ip(dstip) for the
timestamp range, then it orders that list and gives you the first 30.
The second query builds a list of everything from sometable for the
timestamp range, orders it, keeps the first 30, THEN in calculates
long2ip based on that list of 30 items.