Re: FK relationships - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: FK relationships
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 01:01:17PM -0800, sarlav kumar wrote:

> update pg_constraint set conname='customer_facts_uid_fkey'
> where confrelid='customer'::regclass and conrelid='customer_facts'::regclass;

Note that if a table has multiple constraints then this update will
try to rename all of them to the same name.

> Is this going to cause any trouble in future?

I don't know about this case, but fiddling with the system tables
can cause problems due to subtle relationships you're not aware of,
and it can have catastrophic consequences if you make a mistake.
Avoid it if possible.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/